2 + 2 = 5K Happiness

 
Mystery Quilts Anonymous

I'm sitting here looking at the computer design for our 5,000 member celebration quilt. I am labouring over the name and starting to write the instructions. The amazing thing about it is some asked for a two colour quilt, this quilt is two colours, but four fabrics and so beautiful. I have worked long and hard on this one....it seemed every design I could come up with was horrible. Finally, I just started playing with colour and VOILA! there it was. I am very pleased with the outcome. This one will be one size...a queen, but you can make it smaller by choosing different borders, or no borders. It has large block units and is amazing.

It is designed in teal and black, I used (on my computer app) a light and dark teal and black and grey. You can choose two different colours and then use a light and dark or even medium and dark of these colours. I have yet to choose my fabrics, so I can't show you a pic quite yet. I may use the colours it is designed in. I also may add an additional plain border to make it fit my king bed.

 

Sometimes I use a colour wheel to see what colours are beautiful together. It also makes it easy to see the opposites, which ALWAYS look amazing together. The main thing you need for this one is contrast between your two colours, then contrast between your two shades of your chosen colours. This contrast is important to see the pop of the pattern (and secondary pattern, and third pattern)..... have fun with this.



This quilt would also look FANTASTIC as a scrappy pattern. I would keep to the dark being very dark and the other dark being a medium dark, but kept in the same colour family (black, brown, navy...etc) You could also make your second colour very scrappy as long as you stay in the same hue (light, medium). I told you I used a teal as my second colour, this colour is easily any colour or group of colours...brights, pastels, etc. as long as you have the contrast between your second colour and your "dark" it will be a stunning quilt.

In summary, two colours plus two shades equals a beautiful 5,000 member celebration quilt. Can't wait to see all your choices for this....I will have the yardages out to you VERY SOON. We are within 25 of our 5,000 goal...

Thank you for all the fun.
Can't wait to share more!
Deb
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Ideas

Thoughts???

New Beginnings, Fun Times...